New software packages bundled with OpenSuSE 11.1
The newest version of OpenSuSE got released today. OpenSuSE 11.1 brings more than 230 new features the press release says. As I keep my systems up to date thanks to smart and all the repositories only a number of these new feature are missing on my OpenSuSE 11.0 installations. The most important reason I quickly upgrade my desktop system is KDE. As I am still using KDE version 3 and the version that comes with OpenSuSE 11.1 is the same I have installed (KDE 3.5.10) this does not convince me to upgrade.
I did however discover new software (packages) in OpenSuSE 11.1 I have not known before. These packages are Tasque, Tellico, Twinkle, Monsoon, PulseAudio and Derby. I googled these terms and came up with the following.
- Tasque is a simple task management app (TODO list) for the Linux Desktop. The screenshots remind me of the todo app that comes with the KDE Kontact tool.
- Tellico is a KDE application for organizing your collections. Tellico allows you to enter your collection in a catalogue database.
- Twinkle is a free software/open source VoIP softphone application for Linux. It uses the SIP protocol. It also incorporates a GPL implementation of the ZRTP and SRTP security protocols and MD5 digest authentication.
- Monsoon is a fully featured bittorrent GUI supporting many advanced features such as selective downloading, automatic port forwarding via uPnP and RSS integration.
- PulseAudio is a sound server for POSIX and Win32 systems.
- Apache Derby is an open source relational database implemented entirely in Java.
I’d like to say even before I tried it out openSUSE just got better!Google+